Monday, March 26, 2012

Music.....passion


I remember my sister coming home from school one day (she was a junior in high school and I was in 5th grade) with an instrument for me.  She had told her band director that I made good grades and Mrs. D said, "then she is going to play oboe."

I soon started taking private lessons and realized music was truly my passion.

I had no idea how much of an impact playing that instrument would have on my life.  I excelled in music and eventually majored in Music Education in college and became a band director.  Throughout the years, I found great pleasure in playing freelance around the city of Houston, mainly at churches, and made many friends and most importantly, made some great music.

Yesterday I played a concert with the Mesilla Valley Concert Band and it was just wonderful.  Procession of the Nobles, Holst's Suite in Eb….some band standards that are timeless.  I sat there on the front row looking out at the audience (always a packed house at NMSU) and was filled with thanks…..thanks for my first band director, thanks to my dad who took me to lesson after lesson on Saturday mornings and thanks to all of the people who believed in my music. 

I am enjoying my music more than ever by playing in a band again.  Since I left teaching, I have had a void in my life.  I've missed making music on a regular basis.  I had no idea the day that oboe arrived in my home from Galena Park High School that my life would change and have meaning.

It's amazing what passion does to your life.  It can slip from our fingers and be forgotten and if you are lucky enough to awaken what makes you happy, you are blessed beyond measure.

Today I Am Thankful For:

1.  Blackberries
2.  Homemade tortillas
3.  When your Spanish rice turns out perfect :)
4.  Blingy sunglasses
5.  Hope


post signature

0 comments:

Speakers and Writers

Design:


Photo credits ~ Dreamstime

A 2008 Graduate of

Recommended Reading

  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, Joanna Weaver
  • Praying the Names of God, Ann Spangler
  • The Shack, William P. Young
  • Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
  • Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers
  • Bad Girls of the Bible, Liz Curtis Higgs
  • The Mark of the Lion Triology, Francine Rivers
  • The Mitford Series, Jan Karon

  ©Blog Design by Mary Hess Designs.

Return to top  

Google Analytics Alternative