Friday, April 13, 2012

A Choice

I am a huge advocate of devotional time.  Having a daily time to either meditate, pray, journal, and simply take time for yourself, even if just for one minute, is critical to caring for yourself.  But here is my problem...life takes over and gets in the way.

I can honestly tell you that when I have had periods in my life when I started my day in prayer and devotion, everything around me was better...my relationships, work, and my sense of self.  What I have found is that I am lacking in my devotional time these days.

Everything is going well in our lives.  Better than well.  We are even anticipating an exciting move to Rio Rancho (right outside of Albuquerque)!  The problem is that when I think about my devotional time, it's more about "finding time" instead of "choosing" time.

We make choices every day.  From what we eat for breakfast (if we eat at all) to how productive we are throughout the day.  Why can't we choose to spend time with Christ before our day gets into high gear (or choose to end our day with Him)? I have to make sure that on my list of priorities, my relationship with Christ is at the top of the list. 

Too often expectations can even take away from our relationship building with Christ.  If we set our goals to an unexpected level, we will never move forward in working to deepen our spiritual relationship.  That's why I have to focus on at least one minute.  One minute of uninterrupted time in prayer.  A time where everything else in the world takes second place.  It may not sound like a lot of time, but challenge yourself to spending a minute in quiet...solitude.  That minute can happen at your desk at work, or even with the hustle and bustle of children in the next room.  Find your minute.  Don't keep Christ waiting any longer.

"Investigate my life, O God, find out everything about me; Cross-examine and test me, get a clear picture of what I'm about; See for yourself whether I've done anything wrong then guide me on the road to eternal life."  Psalm 139:23-24 (MSG)

Today I Am Thankful For:

1.  boxes
2.  cold toes
3.  rulers
4.  video cameras
5.  messes to clean up

post signature

0 comments:

Speakers and Writers

Design:


Photo credits ~ Dreamstime

A 2008 Graduate of

Recommended Reading

  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, Joanna Weaver
  • Praying the Names of God, Ann Spangler
  • The Shack, William P. Young
  • Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
  • Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers
  • Bad Girls of the Bible, Liz Curtis Higgs
  • The Mark of the Lion Triology, Francine Rivers
  • The Mitford Series, Jan Karon

  ©Blog Design by Mary Hess Designs.

Return to top  

Google Analytics Alternative