Friday, January 13, 2012

My Dad's Presence

Being fully aware and present is a gift. 

Sometimes a person simply needs to know you are there for them. 

Yesterday I felt my Dad's presence as real as if we were embracing.

I am in Houston with my family to begin the process of packing my mother-in-law's home, put it up for sale, and bury her ashes.  Upon our arrival we went to visit the graves of my parents.  The minute I stepped out of the car, I felt my Dad.  I smelled the aroma of the coffee mill.  See, the mill is next to the school where my father was a principal for many, many years and is several miles away from the cemetary.

I will always remember that smell because I spent many a Saturday morning working at school with him.  From counting textbooks to painting parking blocks...there was always something to do...and always ice cream in the cafeteria :)

I know the answer to the smell of the coffee today...it's windy and cold, so the smell traveled.  But what I know for sure is that my Dad was with me today.  He was with me, even if only for that moment to tell me he loved me.
post signature

Today I Am Thankful For:

1.  great restaurants
2.  cool weather
3.  a great night's sleep
4.  a plan
5.  work to be done

0 comments:

Speakers and Writers

Design:


Photo credits ~ Dreamstime

A 2008 Graduate of

Recommended Reading

  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, Joanna Weaver
  • Praying the Names of God, Ann Spangler
  • The Shack, William P. Young
  • Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
  • Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers
  • Bad Girls of the Bible, Liz Curtis Higgs
  • The Mark of the Lion Triology, Francine Rivers
  • The Mitford Series, Jan Karon

  ©Blog Design by Mary Hess Designs.

Return to top  

Google Analytics Alternative