Monday, July 28, 2008

A Random Act of Kindness

I spent almost two weeks in Houston and was reminded of the ills of big city living. Traffic, traffic, traffic! Also, Houston has the kind of humidity that will literally drench you from head to toe. Needless to say, there was not much that I missed (except for the Tex-Mex).

One sight you will see on almost every corner is someone panhandling. I hate that I am so negative towards these people. It must be hard to stand, for everyone to see, and ask for food and/or money. I am sure many of those people are in desperate need, but I do know that others are looking for drug money or even an easy way to make a few bucks.

As I was waiting at a light on the feeder to the freeway, a man was walking between the lanes of traffic with a bucket for money. A woman in a Range Rover leaned over and through the passenger window, handed him a big Ziploc bag. It was filled with a root bear, soap, various toiletries and snacks.

Wow! What a wonderful idea! She obviously took the time to make up a bag (I'm sure she had a few in her car), put thought into what someone on the street might need, and gave of herself. She was the hands and feet of Christ to that man.

I want to have a heart like that woman. I want to give freely, without judgement. I want to see others as God does. Each and every person a creation in Christ.

0 comments:

Speakers and Writers

Design:


Photo credits ~ Dreamstime

A 2008 Graduate of

Recommended Reading

  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, Joanna Weaver
  • Praying the Names of God, Ann Spangler
  • The Shack, William P. Young
  • Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
  • Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers
  • Bad Girls of the Bible, Liz Curtis Higgs
  • The Mark of the Lion Triology, Francine Rivers
  • The Mitford Series, Jan Karon

  ©Blog Design by Mary Hess Designs.

Return to top  

Google Analytics Alternative