Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Looking in the Mirror

On Oprah, Suze Orman, finanacial wonder woman, targeted a woman who was in deep financial trouble. She was being abused by her husband, physically and emotionally and he drained all of their accounts, put them in financial ruin and committed suicide.

She had no skill and four children to raise with an enormous amount of debt. She was drowning. She didn't know where to turn. That's when Suze came in. They sat and looked at the devastation in black and white and then Suze did the most awesome thing.

They went to the bathroom and Suze had the lady take her makeup off (she was all about her appearance) and Suze went right along with her and on national television, they took their makeup off. What a frightening thing for someone who never left the house without makeup.

Suze had a difficult time getting the lady to look at herself in the mirror. She said "it's not me, I don't know who I am." That's when Suze made her look at herself, without any type of mask and said "this is who you are, you are beautiful and you will get through this for yourself and your children."

Wow. What a powerful moment. I was in tears for this woman who had lost practically everything and had her resolve and dignity literally beaten out of her.

She saw truth for the first time. She saw herself.

Don't we try to dress ourselves up for the world? We work so hard at not wanting others to know that we actually may struggling. That our lives are not really as "picture perfect" as some may think.

I will admit that when I get out of the shower every night, I immediately turn my back to the mirror. I don't like the way I look. Yes, I am working very hard to get healthy, and it sure is a slow road, but I should not be ashamed of what I see.

My body gave birth to two, beautiful boys! I can walk and talk and exercise and have a good time with my family. Why should I be ashamed of what I see?

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am feafully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful. I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14

God knows everything about us. Our heart's desires, our needs and wants and dreams. He made us in love. He loves us the way we are. Love yourself, cherish yourself and in all that you have and do, glorify God.

Today I Am Thankful For:

1. conversation with my hubby in bed before the alarm
2. phone calls from old friends
3. planning a party for my son
4. peanut butter toast
5. wonderful co-workers

0 comments:

Speakers and Writers

Design:


Photo credits ~ Dreamstime

A 2008 Graduate of

Recommended Reading

  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, Joanna Weaver
  • Praying the Names of God, Ann Spangler
  • The Shack, William P. Young
  • Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
  • Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers
  • Bad Girls of the Bible, Liz Curtis Higgs
  • The Mark of the Lion Triology, Francine Rivers
  • The Mitford Series, Jan Karon

  ©Blog Design by Mary Hess Designs.

Return to top  

Google Analytics Alternative