Monday, August 25, 2008

Oh, My G**!

Have you noticed how people carelessly throw around the name of the Lord? Most every reaction you hear is "Oh, my G**"! When I was younger, I used that expression all the time. Then I started to think about it. What did I really mean? Whom was I talking about? I realized my reactions to simple, and unimportant things...things that didn't take much thought...were punctuated with the name of the Creator of the Universe.

Is it too hard to say, "Oh, my gosh?" or "Oh, my goodness?"

We need to think twice about the words that come out of our mouths. Ephesians 4:29 "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

Some may think that using the word "God" as an exclamation is not unholy, but I think it is more of an issue of reverence. Do we revere God in only his works and word not the proclaimation of His name? In the Jewish tradition, you will see Yahweh written as Y*****. They will not speak or write his name out of reverence. I think that is pretty amazing.

Choosing your language, and exclaimations, just may impress on others what you are and are not saying.

Today I am grateful for:
1. New kitchen floors!
2. a hard workout at the gym
3. an ice, cold 44 oz SONIC Diet Coke
4. the sounds of the handbells rehearsing at church
5. peaches

0 comments:

Speakers and Writers

Design:


Photo credits ~ Dreamstime

A 2008 Graduate of

Recommended Reading

  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, Joanna Weaver
  • Praying the Names of God, Ann Spangler
  • The Shack, William P. Young
  • Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
  • Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers
  • Bad Girls of the Bible, Liz Curtis Higgs
  • The Mark of the Lion Triology, Francine Rivers
  • The Mitford Series, Jan Karon

  ©Blog Design by Mary Hess Designs.

Return to top  

Google Analytics Alternative