Monday, January 10, 2011

I Played

I've played the oboe since I was in 5th grade, so I guess I was about 10 or 11. It was my passion through school and it continued as I went to school and received a Bachelor of Music Education degree and taught for many years in the public school system.

I was very fortunate to play professionally (freelance) around Houston starting in my college days. I can't think of an Easter or Christmas season that I have not played my instrument….until this past Christmas. I didn't even open my case. It's the first time in over 30 years that I had not played during the holiday season.

When we moved from Houston, I lost the opportunities I was fortunate enough to have to perform. When I changed careers and left band directing, I looked so forward to those calls I would get to play at churches around the city. I miss it. For a couple of years I even flew back to Houston during Christmas to play at First Baptist Houston (a very special church in my life) but eventually let it go as many things were changing and I just felt like it was time to move on.

I've just let it go and I never thought I would. But my husband asked me to play at church yesterday, so I dusted off my case, soaked a reed and played.

I've not felt that close to God in a really long time.

I am supposed to be playing! Just because I don't live in the big city with lots of opportunity to play doesn't mean I shouldn't we playing for myself and for God.

I am so glad I had this "Ah-ha" moment. I realized that I don't feel as connected when I am simply a member of the congregation. I need to be involved in the service. Be it reading scripture, preaching, or playing.

I guess we have to venture off our paths sometimes. Maybe it's so that when we get back on track we realize how important our passions truly are.

What have you let go of in your life that brought you joy?

Today I Am Thankful For:

1. Grapes
2. Excess medical supplies
3. Rearranging furniture
4. Cardstock
5. Chocolate covered peanuts



post signature

0 comments:

Speakers and Writers

Design:


Photo credits ~ Dreamstime

A 2008 Graduate of

Recommended Reading

  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, Joanna Weaver
  • Praying the Names of God, Ann Spangler
  • The Shack, William P. Young
  • Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
  • Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers
  • Bad Girls of the Bible, Liz Curtis Higgs
  • The Mark of the Lion Triology, Francine Rivers
  • The Mitford Series, Jan Karon

  ©Blog Design by Mary Hess Designs.

Return to top  

Google Analytics Alternative