Monday, January 03, 2011

The Unexpected

Yesterday, I left in the middle of church to help take a member of our congregation home. She was getting sick and needed to leave, so I drove her. As we left, she said, "Please take me to the hospital."

I managed to get there as fast as I could and my friend and I got her situated and called her husband. I figured he would get there soon and our work would be done.

That's not what God had in mind.

I stayed with her for quite some time and she began talking. Asking questions about why did God still have her around as sick as she had been. What did He want from her? Why was she still here?

Then I started to ask God some of the same questions, "Why am I here? How could I possibly help her?"

I dug down deep to find the right words and continued to pray to God to give me the words she needed to hear. We talked and talked through her pain as she continued to wait. Then at one point she looked at me, tears coming down her face, and she said, "Thank you, for being here with me." And she put her hand on my face.

My husband showed up a while later and checked in with her and then we left to resume our normal Sunday afternoon routine.

But it wasn't routine for me anymore.

God put me in a place where I was not necessarily "comfortable" and He used me. But He did something else, He taught me.

God calls us to do many things, sometimes unexpected things. I'm just glad I listened.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)



Today I Am Thankful For:

1. "smashed" potatoes (as my little one calls them)
2. Clear nail polish
3. Hot soaks on very cold evenings
4. A fresh start
5. A new appreciation

post signature

0 comments:

Speakers and Writers

Design:


Photo credits ~ Dreamstime

A 2008 Graduate of

Recommended Reading

  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, Joanna Weaver
  • Praying the Names of God, Ann Spangler
  • The Shack, William P. Young
  • Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
  • Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers
  • Bad Girls of the Bible, Liz Curtis Higgs
  • The Mark of the Lion Triology, Francine Rivers
  • The Mitford Series, Jan Karon

  ©Blog Design by Mary Hess Designs.

Return to top  

Google Analytics Alternative