Tuesday, February 08, 2011

My "Old" Friend



I loved high school. I was blessed to have wonderful friends and fantastic times! I had many special relationships in school, and one friendship has a very special place in my heart.

I met Don my freshman year of high school. He was from the "other" junior high. He sat behind me in typing class (a class I absolutely did not want to take). We got to know each other and became very close throughout our high school years. Many a project was worked on at his house (they had a great big table in the living room where many of us remember some great times). He wrangled me into the Drama Club and Model United Nations and we were in practically every class together (except math...my nemesis). His mother even hung my senior picture in their living room if that tells you anything. And he called me "Cassie," and no one ever did that.

He was the brother I never had. I am not great at remembering birthday's but I have never forgotten his. It's today. I made my annual call to him this morning and that conversation set the mood for having a fantastic day! It just warmed my heart to hear his voice and catch up. Because of Facebook and blogs I feel like we have never been out of touch.

Why do we wait for birthday's and anniversaries, or even funerals before we get in touch with old friends?

I am so glad I talked to my old (not really "old") friend today. And I am hoping he and his lovely wife come out to New Mexico this summer. I want my boys to meet him. I want my "Lance" to meet the person who inscribed my volume of Shakespeare that is in his room.

God placed Don in my life for many reasons. He lives true to his faith. Don never really talked "religion" with me, but he didn't have to. He lived it. I wish I knew then what I know now about my faith because I would have loved to have shared that with him. But you know what? It's not too late.

"Every time you cross my mind, I break out in exclamations of thanks to God. Each exclamation is a trigger to prayer. I find myself praying for you with a glad heart. I am so pleased that you have continued on in this with us, believing and proclaiming God's Message, from the day you heard it right up to the present. There has never been the slightest doubt in my mind that the God who started this great work in you would keep at it and bring it to a flourishing finish on the very day Christ Jesus appears." Philippians 1:3-6 (NIV)


Today I Am Thankful For:

1. birthday's
2. self seal envelopes
3. old candles
4. a positive email
5. clean clothes

post signature

0 comments:

Speakers and Writers

Design:


Photo credits ~ Dreamstime

A 2008 Graduate of

Recommended Reading

  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, Joanna Weaver
  • Praying the Names of God, Ann Spangler
  • The Shack, William P. Young
  • Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
  • Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers
  • Bad Girls of the Bible, Liz Curtis Higgs
  • The Mark of the Lion Triology, Francine Rivers
  • The Mitford Series, Jan Karon

  ©Blog Design by Mary Hess Designs.

Return to top  

Google Analytics Alternative