Monday, February 28, 2011

You Just Never Know


Today was a pretty busy day at work. I had several phone calls to make to colleagues whose names I mostly am familiar with on email. That's how the business world works I guess. Electronic relationships.

One of the calls I made was to a colleague in Ohio. I knew her name, but honestly, if she had been standing in front of me, I would not have known her. The minute I identified myself, she immediately said, "I remember you! I heard you speak at our Clinical Symposium! I'll never forget your presentation. It really made an impact on me."

That presentation was a huge moment for me professionally. My goal was to touch a heart. To hopefully reach out and encourage a person in the audience to really think about their patients in a more personal way.

It has been several years ago, and that someone still remembers what I said and used it to make a difference in a person's life. That means the world to me.

It assures me that I am on the path that I am supposed to be on.

It also reminds me that words are powerful.

"What am I telling my five year old?"

"Do I always sound bothered when I respond to my fourteen year old?"

"Does my online posting for class make sense, or am I am offending anyone?"


You never know who is listening to you (or reading what you write). If we want to "ooze" we have to strive to always be at our best. No, we can't be "on" all of the time, but we can sure try to live our best life with every breath we have left.

There's a great verse in Ephesians and I really like the version from The Message:

"Watch the way you talk. Let nothing foul or dirty come out of your mouth. Say only what helps, each word a gift." Ephesians 4:29


You don't need money to give a gift.

Sometimes the best offering is a word of thanks or praise.

Jesus is waiting.

Today I Am Thankful For:

1. Frozen meatballs
2. Finishing my postings early!
3. A squeaky rocking chair
4. Bags of leaves
5. Bubble baths

post signature

0 comments:

Speakers and Writers

Design:


Photo credits ~ Dreamstime

A 2008 Graduate of

Recommended Reading

  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, Joanna Weaver
  • Praying the Names of God, Ann Spangler
  • The Shack, William P. Young
  • Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
  • Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers
  • Bad Girls of the Bible, Liz Curtis Higgs
  • The Mark of the Lion Triology, Francine Rivers
  • The Mitford Series, Jan Karon

  ©Blog Design by Mary Hess Designs.

Return to top  

Google Analytics Alternative