Wednesday, April 06, 2011

What's Their Story?

We went to one of our favorite restaurant's after church Sunday at the golf course. The deck is beautiful and the weather was perfect. The waitress knows our orders before we even sit down (we've been there a "few" times).

A new waiter was working. My husband proceeded to tell me his name, that he moved from a nearby town, recently broke up with his girlfriend and is busing and waiting tables so that he can be here near his mother who is dying from cancer.

Wow. You just never know.

Yesterday I was in the drive thru at SONIC (feeding my Diet Coke addiction) and it was taking a really, really long time. I stuck with it and the woman in front of me had had it! She got out of her car and banged on the window demanding her money back. It was not pretty. When I got up to the window, the young woman (who is as sweet as can be...she knows me too) was red faced and trying to not get upset. She obviously was doing the best she could.

As I drove away I wondered what the young woman's story was. Is she working to provide for her family? Struggling through school? Trying to figure out the next step in her young life?

When we begin to get exasperated with others, I think it's important to put ourselves in their situation. What would we feel like if an irate customer attacked you and you were doing the best you could? We have no idea what is going on in their lives.

An "oozer" will take a deep breath, show some compassion, and try to handle the situation with grace.

Several years ago, I was the woman who banged on the window demanding my money back.

I am so glad Christ has changed me. I'm not perfect and I don't ooze all the time, but it is the way I strive to live. I am so grateful that He gives us a clean slate each morning.

"Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23 (NIV)


Today I Am Thankful For:

1. make-up work
2. research
3. soft dog food
4. our local office supply
5. tower fans

post signature

0 comments:

Speakers and Writers

Design:


Photo credits ~ Dreamstime

A 2008 Graduate of

Recommended Reading

  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, Joanna Weaver
  • Praying the Names of God, Ann Spangler
  • The Shack, William P. Young
  • Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
  • Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers
  • Bad Girls of the Bible, Liz Curtis Higgs
  • The Mark of the Lion Triology, Francine Rivers
  • The Mitford Series, Jan Karon

  ©Blog Design by Mary Hess Designs.

Return to top  

Google Analytics Alternative