Monday, November 03, 2008

Studying the Word

I am currently in a Beth Moore bible study, Living Beyond Yourself. It started out to be promising, but there is something about Beth's teaching that is not working for me. I feel as if it gets way over my head at times. I may be the only female on the planet that has anything negative to say about Beth Moore, God forgive me, but it's just not working for me.

I am in a room full of women who have studied God's word for many years and I feel very inferior in my knowledge. I know that God does not keep track of who is better versed in scripture than the other, but I want to be in His word so desperately.

I think I found an answer.

I visited Kay Arthur's website for her ministry, Precept Ministries, and was so excited to find what may be my answer.

She has a method of studying the Bible called the Inductive Study. She lays out the steps in attacking each book of the Bible. It's all Observation, Interpretation, and Application.

I started today in prayer and began reading 2 Timothy. I am praying that this method will help me in growing closer to God and to be more versed in the Word.

Today I Am Thankful For:

1. my son taking out the trash
2. getting up early enough to start my day with the Lord
3. a restful Sunday
4. the extra hour of sleep
5. my clothes fitting better

2 comments:

Sarah J. Flashing said...

HI Cazandra,
Are you sure it's way over your head? I'm taking one of her studies right now and can't wrap my mind around it either, yet I have no problem tracking with inductive bible study. I find that her method takes the student all over the place with little emphasis on context.

KRH said...

I think you will love the Inductive Method. Check out the Lord series and the 40 minute series. Kay has a blog at http://kayarthur.blogspot.com/.

Once you get hooked on the Inductive Method it is truly difficult to do anything else, because it teaches you how to discover God's Word for yourself, instead of relying on others to tell you what it means. God bless!

Speakers and Writers

Design:


Photo credits ~ Dreamstime

A 2008 Graduate of

Recommended Reading

  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, Joanna Weaver
  • Praying the Names of God, Ann Spangler
  • The Shack, William P. Young
  • Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
  • Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers
  • Bad Girls of the Bible, Liz Curtis Higgs
  • The Mark of the Lion Triology, Francine Rivers
  • The Mitford Series, Jan Karon

  ©Blog Design by Mary Hess Designs.

Return to top  

Google Analytics Alternative