Friday, November 21, 2008

Words

I was at lunch the other day with a couple of friends. We were having a nice time, enjoying good food and good company when things started to turn. One of them mentioned a person we know and the two of them went off into "Judgement Land".

Yes, part of me wanted to chime in but I simply continued to eat my lunch and prayed to God, "I don't want to be part of this gossip, Father, help me have the strength to stay quiet." And I did. Somehow or another the topic changed and lunch began to be enjoyable again. I actually "oozed" the light of Christ without even saying a word! When I think back, I wish I would have stopped the conversation, made it a point to let my friends know what they were doing, and have moved on. I'll pray to get the strength to do that when the time presents itself.

I think back on so many times in my life when I've chimed right in with the other gossip mongers. I hate that. I hate that I have often let my words bring down another, even if it was without their knowing. God knew. I knew.

I love the Christian Band Building 429. I especially like where their band name derived from.

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." Ephesians 4:29 – NIV

Isn't that something we need to remind ourselves of everyday? And what about our children? I cringe when I think about how I often talk to my "tween" son. It's not just what we say, but how we say it that can affect a person.

We need to build each other up. Think about your words. Choose them carefully.

Today I Am Thankful For:

1. our pediatrician
2. the courage to get to the dentist
3. a sunny, cold, day
4. getting the house ready for family
5. peanut butter

0 comments:

Speakers and Writers

Design:


Photo credits ~ Dreamstime

A 2008 Graduate of

Recommended Reading

  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, Joanna Weaver
  • Praying the Names of God, Ann Spangler
  • The Shack, William P. Young
  • Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
  • Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers
  • Bad Girls of the Bible, Liz Curtis Higgs
  • The Mark of the Lion Triology, Francine Rivers
  • The Mitford Series, Jan Karon

  ©Blog Design by Mary Hess Designs.

Return to top  

Google Analytics Alternative