Monday, April 20, 2009

The Widow's Mite

One of my favorite stories in the Bible is in Luke 21:1-4 (also found in Mark 12:41-44). The Jews were told to give to the Temple and to the poor as part of their service to God (just as we are). One day Jesus sat at the Temple and watched as people came and put money into the offering boxes. Some of the rich gave quite a bit of money, and some gave begrudgingly. Then there was a poor, widow woman who came up to the offering boxes. She put in two of the smallest coins, mites (like pennies). Those that watched her were not impressed, but Jesus was. He saw that she gave willingly, from her heart, all that she had.

Where were her next pennies coming from? I'm not sure if she knew, but she trusted God completely.

Do you trust God the same way…with your whole heart?

"Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added unto you." Matthew 6:33

This is my favorite necklace.

My husband bought it for me and the coin inside the cross is a reminder of the widow's mite. I pray that when I give to the Lord it is with my whole heart. Money, time, talent, prayers…everything.

Today I Am Thankful For:

1. Runny noses
2. Dust
3. Incense
4. Water hoses on warm days
5. Kids going back to school!

1 comments:

Rachel Beran said...

Another good post.

I taught the story of "The Widow's Mite" to my 3 and 4 year old Sunday school kids a few weeks ago. It's amazing how they related so well to this story. They then memorized the scripture, "God loves a cheerful giver." (2 Cor 9:7)

It's so neat how the simple truths of the Bible that even 3 and 4 year olds can understand are still so profound. I learn so much from our lessons each week. :) That's what God wants from all of us...for us to give our all...nothing held back. I pray that I'll "trust God the same way."

Such good reminders. Thanks for your post today.

Speakers and Writers

Design:


Photo credits ~ Dreamstime

A 2008 Graduate of

Recommended Reading

  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, Joanna Weaver
  • Praying the Names of God, Ann Spangler
  • The Shack, William P. Young
  • Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
  • Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers
  • Bad Girls of the Bible, Liz Curtis Higgs
  • The Mark of the Lion Triology, Francine Rivers
  • The Mitford Series, Jan Karon

  ©Blog Design by Mary Hess Designs.

Return to top  

Google Analytics Alternative