Thursday, April 18, 2013

Jack of All Trades...Master of None?

I had a college friend who graduated with a Music Education degree...he worked hard, student taught, and decided music education was not for him.  Are you kidding me?  You didn't like it and now you have a degree and are looking for a job outside of music?

That bewildered me.  I always knew I would be a band director and thought I would retire as a band director.  Well, God had other things in store for me.  He plopped a job opportunity in my lap back in 2002.  I wasn't looking for it and never dreamed I would change careers.  I mean, I had a degree in Music Education!  How in the world could I go into marketing?  Leaving education was a huge leap of faith, and I don’t regret it one bit.

I truly believe that once you have taught in the public schools, you can do anything :)  Being a band director taught me so much more than just how to teach music.  Accounting, relationships, organizing, planning, public speaking, mediation, creativity...the list goes on.  It was a great springboard into my new career in the healthcare industry and I have been fortunate to work in the industry for the past eleven years.

But there are times I doubt myself.  Yes, there's that doubt again.  In my current role, I am a "go to" person for our national team.  The joke is "if you don’t know what to do, ask Caz!"  I am the longest remaining member of the original team and help with many different things. 

Sometimes I feel as if I am a "Jack of all trades," which is helpful to many, and "a master of none," which is disappointing to me.  The reality is that we all have parts of our jobs that we may not enjoy and have to endure so that we can do the fun things...the things we enjoy the most.  I have the ability to step it up and make things happen...and it's time to move forward.

Here's to the season of the fun stuff :)

Today I Am Thankful For:

1.  A soft, loaf of bread
2.  Getting rid of clutter
3.  The smell of a great candle
4.  Cold snaps after "Spring" has started
5.  Homemade cookies

 

 


post signature

0 comments:

Speakers and Writers

Design:


Photo credits ~ Dreamstime

A 2008 Graduate of

Recommended Reading

  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, Joanna Weaver
  • Praying the Names of God, Ann Spangler
  • The Shack, William P. Young
  • Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
  • Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers
  • Bad Girls of the Bible, Liz Curtis Higgs
  • The Mark of the Lion Triology, Francine Rivers
  • The Mitford Series, Jan Karon

  ©Blog Design by Mary Hess Designs.

Return to top  

Google Analytics Alternative